Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rosemary Whole Wheat Sandwich Rolls

I make these rolls a lot. They are easy and the recipe only makes 6 rolls, which can be a good thing. I frequently make a double batch, let them cool, slice them, wrap them in waxed paper, put them in a gallon-sized freezer bag and put them in the freezer. When I want to use one for a sandwich I pull one out and pop it in the toaster. It's very convenient and I never have to worry about any of them going bad because I can't eat them fast enough. If you don't like the taste of rosemary or don't have access to any, just leave it out!

½ cup warm water (110º to 115º F.)

½ teaspoon sugar

1 (1/4 oz) pkg. fast-acting dry yeast

½ cup warm milk (110º to 115º F)

2 tablespoons butter, melted, cooled

1 ½ to 2 cups bread flour, divided - I just use regular flour

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

1 teaspoon salt

½ cup whole wheat flour

1 egg white, lightly beaten

6 tiny sprigs fresh rosemary

  1. Place water, sugar and yeast in large bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment. (Dough also can be made by hand.) Let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until yeast is dissolved. Add milk, butter and 1 cup of the bread flour; beat at low speed until combined. Add chopped rosemary and salt; beat until combined. With mixer running, slowly add whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.

  1. Beat at medium-low speed 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. (If making by hand, knead 10 minutes.) Place in greased medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and towel. Let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in size.

  1. Gently punch down dough to deflate; place on lightly floured surface. Divide into 6 pieces. Form each piece into a ball; place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover with towel; let stand 3 minutes. Flatten into 3 ¾ inch rounds. Cover with towel; let rise 15 minutes.

  1. Place another lightweight baking sheet or pan on top of towel covering buns. (This will act as a weight, making buns flatter and more even.) When I did this I ended up with VERY flat buns! The next time I did it I did not put the cookie sheet on top for this rise and they came out perfectly. Let buns rise 25 minutes or until almost doubled in size (dough should hold slight indentation when gently pressed).

  1. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375ºF. Lightly brush top of buns with egg white; lightly press rosemary spring into center of each bun. I did not put the little rosemary sprigs on – seemed too fussy to me! Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and bottoms sound hollow when gently tapped. Cool completely on wire rack.

3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I make these with soy milk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Countrymama, I've never tried them with soy milk but I don't know why that wouldn't work. Give it a try and let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!