Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Made (almost) from Scratch: Tartar Sauce

If you're a fish lover like me - you hardly ever, never not have tartar sauce in the refrigerator.  That is until it's Good Friday and you panic.  You don't have any and the shops are shut, shut, SHUT.  So your plans to make beer battered fish and chips seem like wearing your clothes in public without underwear.  Just wrong.

So thank goodness for the interwebs, I had the ingredients to make it !  And guess what?  I will NEVER buy it again!  Now I will confess, I was only half virtuous.  I made it with pre-made mayonnaise - but if you can make mayo from scratch, then you can crown thyself condiment god/dess!

Ingredients:
1 cup mayonnaise
Approx 8 slices bread and butter pickle (pickled cucumber)
1 spring/green onion, chopped
12 capers, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1/2 lemon (approx 2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
A few shakes of tabasco sauce
1 sprig parsley, finely chopped

Method:
Pre-chop all ingredients
Mix wet ingredients - mayo, Worcestershire sauce, tobasco, lemon juice
Add the rest of ingredients

Refrigerate in sealed container - keeps for 2 weeks.


So lovely Make it from Scratch readers... tell me... DO you make your mayonnaise from scratch?  Have you got a recipe/method you'd like to share?


You can find more step-by-step cooking from scratch posts and much more at my blog, Frills in the Hills - the fabulous life of our family of five - the fun, the food and the frugality.

3 comments:

  1. Great recipe Liss. We don't eat much fish so the tarter sauce tends to go bad before we consume it all. Now I have a great recipe I can quickly whip up whenever we have fish.

    One question though...what section of the store do you find capers? I've seen several recipes using them but can never find them in the store. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jennifer

    My kids adore Tartar and I can generally get them to eat any seafood if it's on the plate!

    Capers can be found here in Australia near the pickles - like dill pickle, pickled onions etc. Let me know how you get on?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't bought tartar sauce for about 20 years! Mine is much simpler than your recipe, and it's not sweet - we prefer tart tartar :-)

    Here's the "recipe" - mayo (sometimes homemade, sometimes not), chopped dill pickles, very teensy pinch of cayenne. Amounts are all negotiable, but I make it somewhat pickle-y. Sometimes I toss in some chopped onion, but usually not.

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!