Monday, October 12, 2009

4 Step Holey Rags

I don't know about you but when our socks start to wear out, the toes and/or heels are the first to go. Since I don't know the first thing about darning socks to repair the damaged area, I extend their life by cleaning with them. Something I think many of us do.

My problem starts when I toss them in the laundry. Unless they are unusually stained with something I've cleaned or laundered completely separate from the 'good' socks, they get cycled back into the sock basket - where I toss all our socks till we make time to match them up. While they hide in the sock basket, I'm looking all over the house for my 'cleaning' rags. FRUSTRATING!

My solution?

4 easy steps turns my lost damaged socks into dish or facial rags with a scrubbie side AND a soft side.

Step 1: Cut straight across the toe area of the sock.*
Step 2: Start at the top of the sock and cut straight down.*
Step 3: You should have a flat almost rectangle shape of solid sock fabric with the ribbed side on one end. Fold in half with the ribbed texture on one side, wrong sides together and straight stitch around the edge with 1/4" seam or less. Be sure to leave an opening to pull the fabric through.
Step 4: Pull fabric through the opening and top stitch around the rag making sure to tuck under the unstitched area to form an even edge.

*Be sure to position your cuts to go through the hole or damaged area so your finished rag doesn't have a hole in the middle of it.

Crew or tube socks work best but with small modifications, you can use this concept on most socks. With the no show socks or ankle socks, simple cut as described above and use a running stitch or use a serger to prevent the edges from fraying.

Now you have a rag that won't get lost in the sock basket and a never ending supply of holey rags.

Jenn blogs about easy recipes, crafts, and a frugal lifestyle at the Frugal Front Porch.

6 comments:

  1. I have a rag bag in the laundry room where the holey socks go. I put a big x on the top with a laundry marker, then I put them on over my hand as a mitten for dusting. I like this idea though, it would keep things a lot neater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a sock basket :) Do you ever go through your basket and just conclude that some socks have lost their match forever??? So frustrating.

    Great idea about the holey socks...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb-To be honest, I don't know if it's the washer, dryer or just those pesky gremlins eating just one sock but I can't believe how many singles I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - a great way to reuse stuff. I also use old bibs that the kids have outgrown for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I will be using this. I was using old wash clothes as rags. I have used old t-shirts in the past as well. I am all about the recycling of items. Thanks for this post. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea!! I'll be using this with my husband's old socks. (Unfortunately I tend to wear my holey socks well beyond the point of being able to be repurposed into anything else...)

    I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-facial-cleaning-pads-from-old-socks/2009/10/17/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!