Monday, December 7, 2009

How To Make Fabric Gift Tags/Keepsake Ornaments


Here is an easy way to snazz up the perfect gift in no time flat. All you need is some fabric scraps, ribbon scraps, optional felt, coordinating fabric, jingle bells or other embellishments plus pinking shears, needle and thread. You can hand or machine sew.

  1. Cut strips of fabric (or use ribbon) and sew right sides together to make a fabric panel. Make a panel as large as you like.
  2. Create your tag and transfer the image to your fabric. I used chalk since it's easily removed and went with a simple circle but a star, tree, or various other shapes work well. A cookie cutter functions as a wonderful template if you are not the artistic type!
  3. With your pinking shears, cut your template shape plus about 6" to 8" of ribbon for your loop. One on the scrap panel, one felt (optional but gives is a plush look), and the last should be a coordinating fabric for the back.
  4. Piece the layers together with right sides facing out, felt sandwiched in the middle and sew with your preferred stitch with about 1/4" to 1/2" seam.
  5. Finally, add any embellishments you like to personalize your gift tag. Printable fabric opens up the option of adding photos, you can stitch the recipients name, fabric paint and marker allow other decorating options too. If you have an embroidery machine then there is no limit to what creative designs you can create.
I am having trouble deciding on whether I should hand stitch my recipient's name or add some groovy design via iron on fabric! What do you think????


Jenn also writes about crafts, recipes and other house hold tips all on a budget at Frugal Front Porch. If you leave a comment on any MIFS post, it earns you an entry in my Jiffy Lube gift card giveaway. Just head on over to the giveaway post and let me know what post you commented on.

6 comments:

  1. Cute! I think the name of the recipient is special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are adorable! I think putting the name on them would be appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, those are great! how do you sew in such a perfect circle? is there an attachment to your sewing machine or a trick? i have a hard time sewing in a circle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very nice. I wish I was talented enough to sew like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great comments. I used an over-sized round cookie cutter to trace and cut the fabric with pinking shears, pinned it, and slowly sewed with the straight stitch option on my machine with a 1/2" seam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! And I like the idea of writing the person's name. Any idea how to do it? Glue and glitter? Stitching?

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!