Monday, February 8, 2010

Make it Yourself Valentine's Goodies

I've been feeling under the weather for the last couple of weeks but I'm hoping to make several goodies for my oldest son's Valentine's Day party this week.

At the top of my list is brownie pops. A twist on Bakerella's Cake Pop recipe using chocolate brownie goodness and a small heart shaped cookie cutter. Insert a popsicle stick, coat in melted pink candy coating, allow to dry and WHA LA! Brownie Pops. My back up plan, in case this wonderful idea doesn't pan out, is simple heart shaped brownie bits drizzled in caramel.

Another super simple yet very elegant idea is Chocolate Mendiants. I stumbled upon this yesterday while looking around a few new food blogs for some inspiration. Anita at Dessert First dives into where mediants originated and their traditional symbology of this decandent dessert. A modern take on this classic dessert give it limitless possibilities perfect for any occassion. A simple wafer of melted chocolate topped with nuts, fruit, candy, or anything else you can think of. This couldn't be easier to do! PLUS you can totally customize it to you taste or allergy. I would use parchment or wax paper to make removal of the chocolate wafer easier.
 
Peabody's savory Caramel Topped Marscapone Cheese Tart would be simply PERFECT in individual serving heart shaped tins. I have never used marscapone cheese but I have seen Giada DeLaurentis use it on Food Network and after seeing what Peabody's done with it, I can't wait to give this recipe a try.

Another Valentine's Day treat is chocolate covered strawberries. Culinary Institute of America has a great tutorial on how to cover ANYTHING in chocolate with perfect results.

Cake Central also has plenty of ideas, tutorials, recipes, and how tos. From making marshmallow fondant to how to make gumpaste roses, all you cake making and decorating questions are answered.

So get in the kitchen and start making those Valentine's Day goodies. Don't forget to report back here with what you're making. I'm dying to know - I promise I won't steal borrow it.

*On a completely unrelated note, I MUST find a reason make these Fried Donut Pies from CakeSpy.*

Jenn also blogs about family, food, and crafts at Frugal Front Porch.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I'm not sure which site to visit first as they all look so delicious :o) I love this carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,
    Want my excuse for trying lots of new things? blog material. ;)

    BTW this post has my sweet tooth screaming for some satisfaction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! All these look fabulous!! Love dessert and especially chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blog material is usually my excuse for new projects too but I don't need an excuse to try new sweets! I've got a sweet tooth that pads my dentist's bank account rather nicely. Plus after being sick for the last couple weeks, THIS makes me feel so much better!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!