Find other recipes, crafts, and frugal home making tips at Jenn's Frugal Front Porch.
This is a great recipe I posted on my blog a few weeks ago I felt I HAD to share with all you here.
I love Miracle Whip even though hubby favors plain mayo. When I ran out of Miracle Whip a few weekends ago, I thought I'd try making a home made batch. The only ingredient I needed was dry mustard which is readily available at my local grocer for a semi reasonable price! I read over several recipes I found online and modified this one based on what I learned. It turned out great and tastes JUST LIKE Miracle Whip to me. This is just one more product I'll never buy again!
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tbs lime or lemon juice
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 1 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Mix the first four ingredients together with a mixer.
- Slowly drizzle the oil into the egg mixture making sure to mix thoroughly. Be careful not to add your oil too fast.
- Mix in 2 tbs of vinegar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch, mustard and vinegar together till combined.
- Add to cornstarch mixture to boiling water and cook till smooth and pudding like. It should only take a few minutes.
- Slowly add the hot cornstarch/mustard mixture to the egg mixture and blend well.
- Add paprika and garlic powder. I did this at the end but you should be able to add this anytime.
- Refrigerate in airtight container or clean Miracle Whip/Mayo jar.