Thursday, August 6, 2009

Roasting Corn on the Cob

Fresh sweet corn, one my favorite summer indulgences. The corn in my garden did not produce very well this year. We ate every last little ear it did produce though, and are patiently awaiting our second planting which looks much healthier.

The neighbor's corn, however, is big, sweet, and beautiful. And she has just invited me to come and pick all I want. I will be there today (after I pick my beans, again.)

Sweet corn is good about any way you fix it, but my favorite way is to roast it on the grill. Roasting on the grill is easy, and the taste is incredible. As an added summer bonus, grilling the corn keeps the heat outside, where it belongs.

The How To:

1) Preheat the grill on medium heat.
2)Remove the outer layers of the husk, and pull out the brown silk of the corn.
3) Place on the grill. Turn occasionally, and roast for about 40 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the grill heat, and the size of the ears. Pull back the husk a bit to check, but be careful. The corn will be very hot.

One additional tip: If your corn is not fresh picked, you will need to add one additional step. Soak the ears in water for half an hour or so to rehydrate the husk. This will prevent them from catching fire on the grill.

Removing the husk and remaining silk is an easy task after roasting. The corn will stay hot in the husk for quite some time. So, be careful when you started to shuck it.

Enjoy that sweet taste of summer!

2 comments:

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!