I (Stephanie) am taking a much needed break today. I am extremely thankful to Liss for providing this excellent post of tips and motivation to do a little spring cleaning (or fall cleaning as the case may be.) I definitely will have to try her cobweb tip!
Tackling the Cleaning
- Pick a sunny day - it doesn't need to be warm, but sunny is great for the mood and motivation!
- If you have them, involve the kids -give them a bucket and sponge and let the wash the outside of the house or a bucket of water and paintbrush, let the 'paint' or 'clean' it. They will feel useful and have fun!
- Finsh your outdoor spring cleaning before moving indoors
- Clean outside of windows, outer of house, gardens, clear out garages. If you still feel motivated in the evening, you can do jobs inside then.
Cobwebs - how to minimise
Cobwebs are so annoying to me, so I follow Shannon Lushs' (Australia's clean queen) advice and after using a housebroom to remove the majority, and a dustbrush/damp cloth to rid the residue, sprinkle a few drops of lemon oil on the broom and brush around the places that spiders congregate - they don't like lemon oil, so won't return! Hoorah!
2. Mix a window washing solution of :
- 10 litres warm water
- 2 tb dishwashing liquid
- 2 tb cloudy ammonia
- 2 tb white vinegar
- 1/2 cup methylated spirit
- 1/2 cup cornflour (cornstarch)
Got a lot of stuff to clear out?
- Have a yard sale or go in with people in your street for 'street sale'- or this is the time to get onto Craigslist and Ebay to SELL not buy!
- Donate toys to your local hospital/library/womens' shelter
- Donate books to your local library
- Donate women and childrens' clothes, blankets etc to your local homeless charities or womens' shelter.